Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vicksburg

I'm going to make this short, since I'm sitting at an apparently coveted public library computer, being sized up by FOUR Morman missonaries who obviously want to get on it.

Yesterday afternoon Nate realized that he had broken a spoke in his rear wheel; I won't bother talking about it much because I'm sure he has a lot more to say on the subject. Long story short, an infinitely helpful owner of the resort we stayed in last night offered us a ride into Vicksburg MS, which saved us about thirty five miles of riding. Turns out the only place to buy bikes in this town rhymes with Ball Fart, and I'm pretty sure they don't have a cassette tool for us to use.

It looks like we're going to keep going and try to hit Natchez tomorrow. I spoke on the phone to a mechanic there a little while ago, and it sounds like we'll be in good hands once we get there. Nate will spin circles and hope to Satan that his wheel cooperates.

Asides from unexpected mechanical gnarliness, things are going swimmingly. Its warm to the point where I might be busting out the sleeveless jersey, and we're just a few miles from hitting the Natchez Trace Parkway, which is supposed to be a gorgeous stretch of trail.

Finally, I need to mention that I opened my email this afternoon and found two completely separate offers for places to stay in New Orleans. Even though we've already got lodging lined up, I think its amazing that people are actually keeping track of our progress and looking out for us. Thanks a ton to everyone who has been reading this thing.

3 comments:

  1. Just so you guys know.

    I read this "thing"
    Love you dudes. Keep writing.

    -Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, me too. Ive been tracking yalls progress and hope you guys are still in good spirits. Be careful down there in MS and beware of some of that home-made gumbo! :p Nate- get that spoke repaired or a new wheel ASAP! Ben - youre a champion! Your perseverance will pay off! Hope to see that first post from NAWLINS soon!

    -roos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you made it to Natchez and got the spoke fixed. This could have been risky, but I wonder if Mormans carry a supply of bike tools?

    ReplyDelete